Because we believe in making learning as accessible as possible, the Snapplify Reader app offers accessibility features, including the ability to turn text to audio, meaning that you can choose to listen to the words rather than read them.
Text-to-speech is a great way to handle assessments with students who have exam concessions. Instead of finding separate venues and readers for each learner, with the text-to-speech function, you can simply have the question papers read to the learners over headphones in one venue. This saves teachers from having to find venues and external readers.
To activate the text-to-speech accessibility feature, follow the instructions for your specific device:
- Open the Settings page on your Apple device.
- Tap 'Accessibility.
- Tap 'Spoken Content' and then make sure 'Speak Selection' is on. You can also adjust the speaking rate here.
- After activating 'Speak Selection', navigate to the Snapplify Reader app and open your ebook.
- Select text in your ebook as if you were going to make a note or highlight. A pop-up of options will display. Tap on 'Speak' for the text to be read aloud.
- Open the Settings page on your Android device.
- Navigate to the 'Accessibility' settings.
- Tap on 'Select to Speak', then activate the 'Select to Speak' toggle switch.
- Once the 'Select to Speak' feature is enabled, navigate to the Snapplify Reader app and open your ebook.
- Tap on the screen to access the tool options, then tap on the human figure icon at the base of the screen.
- Click the play button to start the read-aloud feature or tap on the screen to auto-start the playback at that specific spot. You can use the rest of the controls to access further options.
Windows and macOS
- Once your ebook is open in the reader app, select the text to be read aloud.
Click the 'Speak' icon. The selected text will be read aloud.
Another great feature you might find useful is the specialised font to help readers with dyslexia.
Need help? Use the live chat in the bottom right corner of your screen or email us at email@example.com.